Thursday, August 09, 2012
A man accused of abducting and dismembering an 8-year-old New York City boy who got lost on his first day walking home alone is expected to enter a guilty plea Thursday to avoid trial.
Levi Aron previously pleaded not guilty to killing Leiby Kletzky in a case that shocked city's large Hasidic Jewish community.
State Assemblyman Dov Hikind has said Aron is expected to enter the plea as part of a deal that would result in a life sentence. Prosecutors struck the deal in close consultation with Kletzky's family, Hikind said.
A person briefed on the plea negotiations told The Associated Press that under the pending agreement, Aron would get a sentence of 40 years to life behind bars. The person was not authorized to discuss the deal publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.
"The Kletzkys are eager to see this concluded," said Hikind. "They are hopeful that a deal for 40 years-to-life will be accepted because the last thing they want is to relive the horror of losing their child."
Comments: Post a Comment