Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Grand Jury Indicts Suspect in Synagogue Terror Case 

A grand jury in Manhattan has indicted Ahmed Ferhani, one of two men accused of participating in a plot to blow up synagogues and kill Jews in New York City, the AP reported.

The charges against him will likely be unveiled in court on June 16, 2011.

The office of New York County District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. is taking more time to present its case against the second suspect, Mohamed Mamdouh.

In a daytime takedown, detectives with the Intelligence Division, which investigates terrorism, arrested the two men, Ferhani, 26, and Mamdouh, 20, in Manhattan at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 11, 2011. Moments earlier, Ferhani bought guns, ammunition and an inert grenade from an undercover cop, the NYPD said.

The men claimed to be upset over the treatment of Muslims around the world. Ferhani also expressed his intent to participate in a "Jihad," according to the criminal complaint.

They were arraigned last week on initial charges including conspiracy as a crime of terrorism, a rarely used state law.

Through attorneys, the men have denied the allegations.

Mamdouh's lawyer agreed Tuesday to give prosecutors until June 2 to take the case against Mamdouh to a grand jury.

The men were recorded discussing a synagogue attack, prosecutors said.

The FBI and U.S. Attorney's Office declined to get involved in the case. Some sources have said the federal authorities were not comfortable with the NYPD's case.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Chaptzem! Blog