<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Barry Lewis: We must get past hatred for the region to grow 

Some of you shared your own experiences of hate, anti-Semitism and prejudice.

Others couldn't understand how people who claim to be so religious and moral act the way they do. A few thought I was way off the mark, and in stronger language suggested I keep my opinions to myself.

And I even got answers to the question "What is a 'jewish natzi wannabe?'"

It was that last comment in an earlier email from a reader that spurred my need to vent in last week's column about a pair of dysfunctional local village governments in Bloomingburg and Monticello and the venom of hate and religious persecution that spewed from some officials and residents.

Most of what I wrote centered on developer Shalom Lamm's 396-unit housing that could within months quadruple the size of Bloomingburg and forever change the landscape of their community.

I said it was wrong for Lamm to label those who protest his development as being anti-Semites just because he's marketing to Hasidic Jews.

I'm a Jew. As as I said last week, I wouldn't want to wake up to find 2,400 people of any group who don't want anything to do with me living down my rural country road.

I'd label those who protest Lamm's development as concerned citizens.

And they should continue their grass-roots inquiry and question now-former village officials about their actions, which at the very least show incompetence and a total disregard for open government, as well as raise legitimate concerns about the personal gains those in office might have received for their actions.

But at the same time, once those folks start mouthing off about "those Jews" and put up signs and bumper stickers targeting a specific religious group, they've crossed the line from concerned citizen to simply being intolerant and ignorant.

These are otherwise intelligent people who know better.

Reader Vanessa from Orange County said I should know that intelligence can bring about ignorance. She wrote about her friend who feels totally safe walking about her semi-rural, beautifully landscaped community because most people living there are white.

"She says no one is going to bother you, or hurt you. The false security? The white skin secures her that they are better people, we are not inner city people. I explained to her, you may feel that way because of the poor indoctrination you have received all your life that secures you. Intelligent people?"

Most emails echoed those of Steve from Middletown:

"The issues that you describe are tremendously difficult. But it's scary to see the way they have developed and been argued about. We'll need all the good intentions we can muster. This democracy thing is hard work." I know of anti-Semitism firsthand. Not just in an email. The anger and hurt never totally go away.

What's needed is for these concerned citizens and Lamm to talk this through and move forward. Not easy. But a must. This region is going to see similar projects. We all know that. We can't have the hatred rise with the buildings.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140420/NEWS/404200320

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Chaptzem! Blog

-