Monday, August 17, 2026
Bronx Man Faces 14 charges for Attack at Central Synagogue Shabbat Service
Officers arrested Larry Montes, 46, of the Bronx, on Friday night and charged him with 14 charges, including six hate crimes, after he allegedly hit a 63-year-old woman and spat upon and heat-butted a 65-year-old security guard at Central Synagogue in Manhattan on Friday night, the New York City Police Department told JNS.
The incident took place shortly after 6 p.m. during Shabbat services, and officers were told that the suspect “began acting irate and disrupted a service,” the NYPD said.
“As security was escorting the male out, he struck a 63-year-old female, causing a small laceration and pain to her lip and right forearm,” the department told JNS. “Additionally, the male spit on and head butted a 65-year-old security guard.”
The department’s hate crime task force is investigating the incident, and the man was charged with four counts of hate crime assault, two counts of assault, criminal mischief as a hate crime, criminal mischief, disrupting a religious service, criminal trespass as a hate crime, two counts of aggravated harassment and two counts of harassment, the NYPD told JNS.
Central Synagogue, a Reform congregation, stated that it was grateful to the many who “have reached out in support after the disturbing events during services.”
“Tonight at Shabbat services, a disturbed man stormed our bimah,” or dais, and “knocked over our Shabbat candles, screamed obscenities and assaulted a congregant,” the synagogue said. “In the face of this antisemitic hate, our security director heroically restrained and escorted the man out.”
The synagogue added that the cantor and musicians “did not let this stop the music.”
“Our rabbis reignited the candles, helped us breathe and found the words to respond to the moment in real time,” it said. “Our congregation refused to let hate extinguish our Shabbat light.”
0 comments
Sunday, August 16, 2026
UN study debunks Gaza malnutrition claim, but Labour presses on
There are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are United Nations statistics.
This time last year the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) scheme, a UN-supported outfit, declared a famine in Gaza.
There was some pushback from Israel at the time. To make a finding of famine, the rules require evidence that 30 per cent of under-fives are experiencing acute malnutrition.
There was no data available for the preferred metric (measuring the circumference of the upper arm), so the IPC used measurements for lower down the arm. Then they doubled them. The result was 15 per cent. The definition required 30 per cent. The result was multiplied by two.
All of a sudden, Jerusalem was starving the Palestinians. Except, this has now been debunked by another report, produced by the UN-backed Nutrition Cluster.
It shows that not only was Gaza’s upper-arm-measured acute malnutrition at the same rate, or lower, than before October 7, but that the Palestinians record lower levels of malnutrition than neighbouring countries including Egypt and Jordan.
As the researcher Dr Mark Zlochin observes in the JC, the data show that Gazan malnutrition is “exceptionally low by both regional and even Western standards”.
This time last year the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) scheme, a UN-supported outfit, declared a famine in Gaza.
There was some pushback from Israel at the time. To make a finding of famine, the rules require evidence that 30 per cent of under-fives are experiencing acute malnutrition.
There was no data available for the preferred metric (measuring the circumference of the upper arm), so the IPC used measurements for lower down the arm. Then they doubled them. The result was 15 per cent. The definition required 30 per cent. The result was multiplied by two.
All of a sudden, Jerusalem was starving the Palestinians. Except, this has now been debunked by another report, produced by the UN-backed Nutrition Cluster.
It shows that not only was Gaza’s upper-arm-measured acute malnutrition at the same rate, or lower, than before October 7, but that the Palestinians record lower levels of malnutrition than neighbouring countries including Egypt and Jordan.
As the researcher Dr Mark Zlochin observes in the JC, the data show that Gazan malnutrition is “exceptionally low by both regional and even Western standards”.
0 comments
Friday, August 14, 2026
Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' in Arabic found on sale at newly opened bookstore
Public outrage has erupted in Britain over the sale of Arabic-language copies of "Mein Kampf," Adolf Hitler's antisemitic book, at a new bookstore in London.
Several copies were found at Aafaq in Edgware, which opened Aug. 1.
The discovery drew condemnation from Jewish community representatives and organizations combating antisemitism, which called for the books to be removed from the store.
0 comments
Thursday, August 13, 2026
NYC’s Park East Synagogue partners with local Chabad
A local Chabad chapter and New York City’s Park East Synagogue have announced a partnership, highlighting the Chabad Hasidic movement’s growing influence and marking a step forward for the prominent Modern Orthodox synagogue.
Park East, founded in 1890 and located on the Upper East Side, and Chabad of the Upper East Side announced the collaboration in Friday statements to members.
Park East, founded in 1890 and located on the Upper East Side, and Chabad of the Upper East Side announced the collaboration in Friday statements to members.
Park East will host most of Chabad of the Upper East Side’s activities, Chabad’s Rabbi Ben Tzion Krasnianski will serve as an associate rabbi at the synagogue and Rabbi Yosef Wilhelm, who directs Chabad Young Professionals Upper East Side, will be an assistant rabbi.
The synagogue’s Rabbi Arthur Schneier and president, Les Lieberman, said in a message to members that “this collaboration brings together two vibrant Jewish communities with a shared commitment to Torah, prayer, education, and acts of kindness.”
The message hailed the collaboration as an “important new chapter” for the synagogue.
The partnership will offer “enhanced” Shabbat programming, classes, lectures, holiday celebrations and opportunities for young professionals, the message said.
The synagogue’s Rabbi Arthur Schneier and president, Les Lieberman, said in a message to members that “this collaboration brings together two vibrant Jewish communities with a shared commitment to Torah, prayer, education, and acts of kindness.”
The message hailed the collaboration as an “important new chapter” for the synagogue.
The partnership will offer “enhanced” Shabbat programming, classes, lectures, holiday celebrations and opportunities for young professionals, the message said.
0 comments
Tuesday, August 11, 2026
Federal appeals court revives Hasidic inmate’s claims over alleged Iowa prison religious violations
An inmate who identifies as a Hasidic Jew will get another chance to pursue several claims that Iowa prison officials failed to accommodate his religious practices after a federal appeals court revived parts of his lawsuit.
Lawrence Hamby, who was incarcerated at the Iowa State Penitentiary from June 2009 to February 2023, alleged that the Iowa Department of Corrections denied requests for kosher meals, candles to light before Shabbat and Jewish holidays, access to a mikveh for ritual cleansing and the use of religious funds for attorney fees.
After exhausting the prison system’s internal grievance process, Hamby sued the department and several officials under the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act, alleging violations of his religious rights.
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa dismissed all of Hamby’s claims, finding that his grievances were untimely, improperly submitted, lacked merit or were moot because Hamby, by that time, had been transferred to a different prison.
In a decision issued this week, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit reversed key portions of that ruling, holding that Iowa waived sovereign immunity for claims brought under RLUIPA by accepting federal funding. The panel also found that the district court improperly concluded Hamby had failed to exhaust administrative remedies, saying the record showed he completed the required grievance process, including review by the department’s religious coordinator and appeals to the Statewide Religion Review Committee.
The appeals court also ruled that some of Hamby’s claims for prospective relief against state officials remain viable, while affirming the lower court’s dismissal of other claims.
The case was remanded to the district court for further proceedings consistent with the appeals court’s opinion.
Lawrence Hamby, who was incarcerated at the Iowa State Penitentiary from June 2009 to February 2023, alleged that the Iowa Department of Corrections denied requests for kosher meals, candles to light before Shabbat and Jewish holidays, access to a mikveh for ritual cleansing and the use of religious funds for attorney fees.
After exhausting the prison system’s internal grievance process, Hamby sued the department and several officials under the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act, alleging violations of his religious rights.
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa dismissed all of Hamby’s claims, finding that his grievances were untimely, improperly submitted, lacked merit or were moot because Hamby, by that time, had been transferred to a different prison.
In a decision issued this week, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit reversed key portions of that ruling, holding that Iowa waived sovereign immunity for claims brought under RLUIPA by accepting federal funding. The panel also found that the district court improperly concluded Hamby had failed to exhaust administrative remedies, saying the record showed he completed the required grievance process, including review by the department’s religious coordinator and appeals to the Statewide Religion Review Committee.
The appeals court also ruled that some of Hamby’s claims for prospective relief against state officials remain viable, while affirming the lower court’s dismissal of other claims.
The case was remanded to the district court for further proceedings consistent with the appeals court’s opinion.
0 comments
Wednesday, August 05, 2026
Ukraine's MFA warns Hasidic pilgrims of security risks ahead of Uman visit
Amid Russia's full-scale invasion, Ukraine's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has urged Hasidic pilgrims planning to travel to Uman to take into account that the Ukrainian authorities cannot guarantee the full safety of foreign nationals.
According to Ukrinform, the warning was issued in a statement by the Foreign Ministry.
In light of Russia's ongoing large-scale missile attacks, the ministry urged those who choose to visit Uman despite official warnings to be aware that martial law remains in effect across Ukraine. The legal regime includes restrictions on freedom of movement, curfews, enhanced security patrols, a ban on mass gatherings and public events, as well as the possibility of compulsory measures against individuals who fail to comply with the established restrictions.
The ministry also advised pilgrims to take into consideration the heavy congestion at Ukraine's land border crossings and possible travel delays, as well as the limited availability of bomb shelters and medical personnel.
According to Ukrinform, the warning was issued in a statement by the Foreign Ministry.
In light of Russia's ongoing large-scale missile attacks, the ministry urged those who choose to visit Uman despite official warnings to be aware that martial law remains in effect across Ukraine. The legal regime includes restrictions on freedom of movement, curfews, enhanced security patrols, a ban on mass gatherings and public events, as well as the possibility of compulsory measures against individuals who fail to comply with the established restrictions.
The ministry also advised pilgrims to take into consideration the heavy congestion at Ukraine's land border crossings and possible travel delays, as well as the limited availability of bomb shelters and medical personnel.
0 comments
Tuesday, August 04, 2026
Jews targeted in 70% of all NYC hate crimes last month, NYPD data shows
Jews were targeted in 70% of all hate crimes in New York City in July, according to NYPD data released on Monday, as the number of hate crimes against Jews and other groups continued to increase since New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani took office at the start of the year.
Since January 1, 2026, overall hate crimes were up 9.4% compared to the same period last year — from 329 last year to 360 this year.
Since January 1, 2026, overall hate crimes were up 9.4% compared to the same period last year — from 329 last year to 360 this year.
Confirmed anti-Jewish hate crimes have increased 8.5% in 2026, with 205 so far this year compared to 189 during the same period last year.
The figure for this year amounts, on average, to an antisemitic hate crime in the city every 25 hours. Jewish security officials and hate crimes experts say that many or most hate crimes are not reported to police.
Jews have been targeted in 57% of all hate crimes in the city so far this year, according to the NYPD. Jews make up around 10% of the city’s population.
The figure is similar to the proportion last year, before Mamdani took office.
The figure for this year amounts, on average, to an antisemitic hate crime in the city every 25 hours. Jewish security officials and hate crimes experts say that many or most hate crimes are not reported to police.
Jews have been targeted in 57% of all hate crimes in the city so far this year, according to the NYPD. Jews make up around 10% of the city’s population.
The figure is similar to the proportion last year, before Mamdani took office.
0 comments
Monday, August 03, 2026
NY man who killed Jewish writer in car crash charged with vandalizing kosher shop
A New York City district attorney on Friday arraigned a suspect on hate crimes charges for antisemitic vandalism, weeks after the man was indicted on manslaughter charges for the death of a Jewish journalist.
Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said that Dawood Faisal, 22, had been arraigned on hate crimes charges for destroying property in May at a kosher bagel shop that had Israeli flags outside.
Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said that Dawood Faisal, 22, had been arraigned on hate crimes charges for destroying property in May at a kosher bagel shop that had Israeli flags outside.
On May 15, Faisal upended nine plant stands outside the shop, Bagels & Co., spilling dirt and plants on the sidewalk in front of the business. He then threw fistfuls of the dirt at the shop, Katz said.
A week later, Faisal knocked over 11 plant stands at the shop, picked up the plant pots, and emptied the pots onto the sidewalk. Some pots were too large to knock over, so he ripped the plants out of them, Katz said.
Neighborhood residents and Jewish community activists rallied at the shop after the vandalism in a show of solidarity.
Faisal was charged with criminal mischief in the third degree as a hate crime, criminal mischief in the fourth degree as a hate crime, criminal mischief in the third degree, and criminal mischief in the fourth degree.
A week later, Faisal knocked over 11 plant stands at the shop, picked up the plant pots, and emptied the pots onto the sidewalk. Some pots were too large to knock over, so he ripped the plants out of them, Katz said.
Neighborhood residents and Jewish community activists rallied at the shop after the vandalism in a show of solidarity.
Faisal was charged with criminal mischief in the third degree as a hate crime, criminal mischief in the fourth degree as a hate crime, criminal mischief in the third degree, and criminal mischief in the fourth degree.
He faces a maximum of seven years in prison if convicted.
0 comments
Sunday, August 02, 2026
Israel-bashing activist who collaborated with Rama Duwaji rants about Jewish people ‘whining’ about the Holocaust: ‘Lost its meaning’
An Israel-bashing activist who collaborated on an art project with the city’s first lady Rama Duwaji mocked Jewish people for “whining” about the Holocaust.
Susan Abulhawa unleashed an unhinged rant on social media in response to the news that Mayor Zohran Mamdani was facing backlash for not appointing one Jewish person to his 18-member judicial screening panel.
“Europe’s holocaust has lost its meaning to the point that the whole world is sick of hearing about it,” Albuhawa said in a July 31 statement on X. “These clowns invoke that genocide with every perceived slight (even as they are committing or supporting a contemporary genocide).
Susan Abulhawa unleashed an unhinged rant on social media in response to the news that Mayor Zohran Mamdani was facing backlash for not appointing one Jewish person to his 18-member judicial screening panel.
“Europe’s holocaust has lost its meaning to the point that the whole world is sick of hearing about it,” Albuhawa said in a July 31 statement on X. “These clowns invoke that genocide with every perceived slight (even as they are committing or supporting a contemporary genocide).
0 comments
