<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Abuse rabbis to lose title

The Chief Rabbinate will discuss a proposal to strip rabbis found guilty of sexual offenses of their title, Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The matter arose following an ongoing investigation against a Nahariya rabbi for raping minors.

Safed Chief Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu came up with the proposal, according to which a committee will be set up to examine accusations against rabbis accused of sexual offenses and will hear all parties before revoking the rabbi's title.

In a letter sent to the members of the Chief Rabbinate, Eliyahu wrote, "Someone in the position of a rabbi should be a man of values, moral and conscience, an impeccable man, and certainly innocent of forbidden sexual relations.

"It is our duty as rabbis and members of Israel's Chief Rabbinate to set rules according to which a man who is suspected of forbidden relations is temporarily suspended from his role. A man who confesses must not be able to serve as rabbi in a public role."

The subject will be discussed at the Rabbinate's next meeting on Thursday.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3417572,00.html

Comments:
Rav Mordechai Eliyahu and sons are in a league of their own, they have guts and fire that is needed in the 21st century. Kol Hakavod.

 

Of course, since it is Israel, one has to ask what "found guilty" means, and what other offenses lead to loosing one's title. This could be a good thing, or it could just be a sop to the feminists. Can one still be in the Rabbanut after stealing?

 

Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu and his son Shmuel have never been afraid to say it as it is,, thank goodness for them.

 

I am an American that had Chasuna in Eretz Yisroel.
In Eretz Yisroel the Rabanut does it right!
When I look back at all the problems I had with the Rabanut I can only say Kol HaKavod the the Rabanut in Eretz Yisroel. I am frum from birth, I davened my whole life in Shtibels in Flatbush.
I was forced to bring letters and witnesses that I was indeed Jewish, from a Jewish family AND I had to have witnesses that knew me from my teen years and knew that I was not married. Over here, in America, any bochur can eventually show up in a Yeshiva, learn and nobody questions if his parents (mother) was indeed Jewish. How many Rebbis are mesader Kedushin without checking?

 

Wait and see, there will be no sanctions issued by the rabbinate for taking bribes. If that too would be considered a rabbinate crime, the janitor at the rabbinate court would be the next and only remaining rabbinate court member. Shame on the corrupt mafia styled Israeli rabbinate.
However, I have a suggestion as to remidy the problem. All members of the rabbinate should be required to go through a public castration ceremony.

 

I had a naive confidence in the Israeli rabbanut judicial system until 3 dayanim fleeced me without even giving me an opportunity to speak in my defense. Since then I learned from "street smart" chareidim not to trust any dayan from any beit din unless I first obtained counsel and good references from a rav I trust.

 

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Chaptzem! Blog

-