<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Jewish Levi jeans heir launches campaign for San Francisco mayor 

A Jewish heir to the Levi Strauss jean empire has launched a campaign to become the next mayor of San Francisco.

Daniel Lurie, 46, is the son of a rabbi, whose mother is a billionaire who owns 16 per cent of the iconic denim manufacturer.

After her marriage to Lurie's father, Rabbi Brian Lurie, ended, she married Peter E. Haas - the great-grandnephew of Levi Strauss.

Her family has donated huge sums to educational charities in the Bay Area, much of it anonymously, the Jewish News of Northern California reported.

Lurie, who holds a master's degree in public policy, runs Tipping Point Community, a body that issues grants to combat poverty.

One programme, launched by the institution in 2017, will see $100 million donated in an attempt to cut chronic homelessness in half in San Francisco.

"When I say I'm going to do something, I get it done and I bring everyone along with me," Lurie declared in a campaign launch video posted online this week.

"My dad was a rabbi. He inspired me and my siblings with the work that he did... you need to take care of the community. That was installed in me by all four of my parents [and step-parents]."

Alluding to the widespread social breakdown that has afflicted San Francisco in recent years, he added: "I love this city but what we are seeing on the streets of San Francisco is not progressive."

https://www.thejc.com/news/world/jewish-levi-jeans-heir-launches-campaign-for-san-francisco-mayor-4D8R3Aml7QiChdh5syiRla

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Chaptzem! Blog

-